A constant challenge for expert entrepreneurs is turning ideas into income. Oh sure, we have plenty of ideas. That’s not the problem. The problem is focusing on one idea at a time, and actually transforming that idea into a money-maker.
If you already receive my weekly ezine, you know that I’m crazy about analogies, metaphors and visuals – those handy tools that provide mental anchors that help us process new information and remember it better later. Not only that, mental anchors can provide a framework for our goals. Another way to put it is that when you’ve set an intention to make something happen, mental anchors can help keep you on track.
So how can a burrito, a parking lot and DLO help you turn ideas into income this year? By providing a simple framework so you can sort through the million distractions in your mind (that might not be much of an exaggeration, right?), zero in on one product, program or service that you can monetize, and clarify what you’ll need to do to make that one thing happen.
This simple exercise is something I do on a regular basis to turn ideas into tangible, money-making products.
- Fold a piece of paper like a burrito (if you’re not sure what that means, watch the video.)
- Write these headings at the top of each of the 3 columns on the paper: Parking Lot, One Thing, DLO
- In the Parking Lot Column list all the project, product and program ideas that are spinning around in your mind.
- Write ONE of those ideas in the One Thing column. (There’s actually an exercise to help select which idea you should focus on now, but that’s another blog post.)
- In the 3rd column, list all the things you must do, learn or outsource (DLO) in order to turn that thing – that idea for a product, program or service – into a reality.
That’s it! If you’re like me and you need to see a visual example, be sure to watch the video. Sometimes the simplest of strategies are the most effective to keep you moving ahead and focused on your big successes coming up in 2012!
Oh … and be sure to comment or post a question below!
Would you like to receive these free video tips in your inbox each week? Plus a free goals setting calendar for 2012?